Sidney Poitier Bio, Age, Net Worth 2022, Wife, Children, Height, Death
Facts of Sidney Poitier
|Full Name:||Sidney Poitier|
|Birth Date:||February 20, 1927|
|Profession:||Actor, Director, Author, Diplomat|
|Height:||6 feet 2 inches (1.88m)|
|Wife||Ex-Juanita Hardy, Joanna Shimkus|
|Net Worth||$25 million|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
|Hair Color||Salt and pepper|
|Father||Reginald James Poitier|
|Kids||Sherri Poitier, Pamela Poitier, Beverly Poitier-Henderson, Gina Poitier, Anika Poitier and Sydney Tamiia Poitier|
|View more / View less Facts of Sidney Poitier|
Sidney Poiter is mostly recalled as Sir Sidney Poiter for his outstanding diplomatic contribution. The Oscar winner for the best actor for his role in “Lilies of the Field” is not just an actor, but also a director, author, and diplomat.
Early Life of Sidney Poitier
He is the first African American actor to win an Oscar. Poiter is a Bahamian-American actor who was Ambassador of the Bahamas in Japan from 1997 to 2007. He starred in 3 movie hits from 1967 that is “To Sir”, “With Love”; In the Heat of the Night “and” Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner.” He is often regarded as one of the jewels of classic Hollywood cinema.
Early Life of Sidney Poitier
Sidney Poitier was born on February 20, 1927, in Miami, United States. As of 2019, he is 92 years old. He is the son of Evelyn(mother) and Reginald James Poitier(father). His parents were the poor Bahamian peasants who lived on Cat Island and sold tomatoes in Miami. He holds the Bahamian-American Nationality. He belongs to the Afro-Bahamian ethnicity.
Although he was born in Miami, he grew up in the Bahamas, then a British Crown Colony. Poitier was raised Roman Catholic when his family moved to Nassau at the age of ten. At 15, he lived with his brother. He also worked as a nurse until he was listed in the American Negro Theater.
After Ending 15 years of Married Life with Juanita Hardy, Did Sidney Poitier Marry Again?
Sidney married twice in his life. On April 29, 1950, he made his first connection with Juanita Hardy. The couple happily married for 15 years and had four daughters named Sherri Poitier, Pamela Poitier, Beverly Poitier-Henderson and Gina Poitier. But the marriage did not work out, and after one and a half decades, they separated in 1965.
Poitier married on January 23, 1976, for the second time with Joanna Shimkus. Since then, the couples live happily together. They share two daughters named Anika Poitier and Sydney Tamiia Poitier. Currently, he is living happily with his second wife. The pair almost shares 43 years of togetherness with each other in married life.
What is Sidney Poitier’s Net Worth in 2019?
Talking about Sidney Poitier’s net worth, he has earned wealth through acting and directing films. The American-born Bahamian broke the color barrier in white Hollywood with his presence on screen. He also earned major parts of earning from his three successful 1967 films, To Sir, with Love, In the Heat of the Night, and Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner
Sidney’s estimated net worth is around $25 million as of 2019. Apart from acting, his main source of income is also from directing films like A Piece of the Action, Uptown Saturday Night, Let’s Do It Again, and Stir Crazy.
Rumors about his Death
Sidney has maintained a good body structure. Whereas, he stands at the height of 6 feet 2 inches tall and weighs 85 kg. Likewise, he has a salt and pepper hair color and dark brown eyes color.
Poitier’s Career and Movies
- Sidney’s theatrical performances at the American Negro Theater were not appreciated by the audience, after which he tried to pursue his career in the film.
- He appeared in 1947 in his first film called “Sepia Cinderella” as an additional role.
- He has done an astonishing performance in films such as Edge of the City, The Defiant Ones, Porgy and Bess, and so on, for which he has been nominated for several awards.
- Poitier’s fame and popularity climaxed with Homer Smith’s breakthrough in “Lilies of the Field”, an “Oscar for Best Actor”, the “Golden Globe” for Best Actor “Motion Picture Drama” and “Silver Bear for the Best” received cast member “.
- He made his debut in 1972 as a director in the movie “Buck and the Preacher”.
- He is also a diplomat and was Ambassador of the Bahamas in Japan from 1997 to 2007.
- Poitier was honored on August 12, 2009, by former US President Barack Obama with the US Presidential Medal of Freedom.