- 1 Early Life of Lin-Manuel Miranda
- 2 Lin-Manuel Miranda has Honorary degrees
- 3 Lin-Manuel Miranda’s Wife
- 4 Lin-Manuel Miranda, Father of Two
- 5 Lin-Manuel Miranda’s Net Worth & Salary
- 6 Lin-Manuel Miranda’s Height & Tattoos
- 7 Professional Career of Lin-Manuel Miranda
- 8 Movies & TV Shows
- 9 Songs & Albums
- 10 Books & Articles
- 11 FAQs of Lin-Manuel Miranda
Lin-Manuel Miranda is an American songwriter, actor, singer, filmmaker, and playwright who is in the media limelight as the creator of the musical, In the Heights. His creation, In the Heights, made him won Tony Award for Best Musical, and Tony Award for Best Original Score, and the Grammy Award for Best Musical Theater Album.
He even got famous as the scriptwriter and lyricist of Hamilton which made him win the Pulitzer Prize for Drama. This even became the number one hit on the Billboard 200.
Early Life of Lin-Manuel Miranda
Lin-Manuel Miranda breathe for the first time on January 16, 1980, in New York, New York, United States. As of now, Miranda is 43 years old. Miranda’s star sign is Capricorn and cuts his birthday cake on the 16th of January. He was born as the son of Luz Towns-Miranda (father) and Luis A. Miranda (mother).
His father is a clinical psychologist while his mother is a Democratic Party consultant. Luz Miranda-Crespo is the name of his sister. He is a cousin of Residente, a Puerto Rican rapper, writer, and filmmaker.
Manuel holds citizenship of the United States and belongs to mixed (Puerto Rican, Spanish, as well as Taíno and African, Mexican, African-American, and English) ethnicity. Miranda follows the Christianity religion.
Lin-Manuel Miranda has Honorary degrees
He became the youngest person to receive an honorary degree from Yeshiva University in 2009. Miranda was lucky enough to receive a degree from the former mayor of New York, Ed Koch. In 2015, he grabbed another honorary degree of Doctor of Humane Letters from Wesleyan University.
After receiving an honorary Doctorate of the Arts from the University of Pennsylvania he even gave a speech in May 2016. He also got a degree of doctor honoris causa from The University of Puerto Rico in July 2016. The Royal Academy of Music gave him an honorary doctorate in July 2022.
Lin-Manuel Miranda’s Wife
He is married to a lawyer, Vanessa Nadal. They met each other for the first time in their high school in the 1990s. After 15 years, he and Vanessa started talking with the help of a Facebook reunion and started dating each other. In October 2009, they got engaged in Madrid.
They walked down the aisle in the presence of their close ones in Belvedere Mansion in Staatsburg, New York on September 5, 2010. Vanessa dolled herself wearing a strapless ballgown and they had a chorus of singers along with a 22-piece orchestra.
Lin-Manuel Miranda, Father of Two
Miranda and Vanessa gave birth to two sons. Their first son, Sebastian Miranda was born in November 2014. He named his first son after the Jamaican crab from The Little Mermaid. Francisco Miranda was born in February 2018.
Lin-Manuel Miranda’s Net Worth & Salary
Manuel has a net worth of $80 million as of 2023 which he earned from his career as an actor, lyricist, composer, rapper, playwright, and theatre director. Lin has an annual salary of $8 million. He is the creator, author, composer, and former star of Hamilton which named him to earn $105k as a 7% cut. Manuel earns $5.5 million a year and received $70 million from Disney.
He bought a 1,125-square-foot apartment in Inwood in North Manhattan in 2008. Until 2013, his parents stayed there and he listed it on sale for $1 million. Then, he own the Drama Book Shop which is located in New York City.
Lin-Manuel Miranda’s Height & Tattoos
Lin has a tall height of 5 feet 9 inches and has a body weight of 73kg. His body measurements are 44-32-46 inches. Lin has a light brown colored eyes and black hair. Miranda has a piercing of his wife’s initial V on his ring finger.
Professional Career of Lin-Manuel Miranda
- Manuel stepped into the theatre with John Buffalo Mailer in the drama, In the Heights.
- He played Usnavi in Broadway’s national tour from 23rd June to 25th July 2010.
- Miranda, Tom Kitt, and Amanda Green became the lyricist of the song, Bring It On The Musical.
- In February 2012, he starred as Charley in Merrily We Roll Along.
- He made 11 title songs for Kirk DeMicco‘s animated movie, Vivo which was released on Netflix in August 2021.
- Manuel debuted as a movie director via Jonathan Larson‘s semi-autobiographical musical Tick, Tick… Boom! in July 2018.
- He worked with Ron Howard and Brian Grazer and the musical was released on Netflix in 2021.
- He played the role of Juan Alvie Alvarez in the tv series House in 2009.
- Miranda sang a song segment, Murray Has a Little Lamb for the series, Sesame Street.
- He appeared as a composer and actor in the movie, The Electric Company in 2009.
Movies & TV Shows
He appeared in movies like Mary Poppins Returns, Tick, Tick… Boom!, Vivo , Encanto, etc. Some of his tv shows are His Dark Materials, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Saturday Night Live, DuckTales, Fosse/Verdon, Do No Harm, and A West Wing Special to Benefit When We All Vote, and so on.
Songs & Albums
He sang songs like We Know, Running Out of Time, Non-stop, A Winter’s Ball, We Don’t talk about Bruno, Carnaval del Barrio, We Know the Way, The room where it happens, Alexander Hamilton, Miranda Aaron Burr, sir, and so on.
He released albums like Encanto, Vivo, In The Heights, The Hamilton Mixtape, The Hamilton Instrumentals, Hamilton: The German EP, 21 Chump Street: The Music, and Moana: un mar de Aventuras.
Books & Articles
Lin’s famous books are Hamilton: The Revolution, Gmorning, and Gnight!: Little Pep Talks for Me & You, In the Heights: Finding Home. His popular articles are Stop the Bots from Killing Broadway. Give Puerto Rico Its Chance to Thrive.
Awards & Honors
- Miranda’s appearance in the musical In the Heights, made him win the Tony Award for Best Musical, and Tony Award for Best Original Score, and the Grammy Award for Best Musical Theater Album.
- He won the Pulitzer Prize for Hamilton and even got a nomination for the Tony Award for Best Book of a Musical.
- Miranda became one of the Most Influential People in the World by Time Magazine in 2016.
- He received the Kennedy Center Honors as a creator of Hamilton in December 2018.
FAQs of Lin-Manuel Miranda
Is Lin-Manuel Miranda related to Alexander Hamilton?
No, Lin is not related to Alexander Hamilton. Alexander is the founding father of the United States while Lin is an actor and director by profession.
Does Lin-Manuel Miranda speak Spanish?
Yes, Lin speaks Spanish. In his childhood, Lin used to spend his summer with his grandparents who were located in Puerto Rico, where he learned the Spanish language. In an interview, he said that he even used to dream in Spanish.
Does Lin-Manuel Miranda have a Foundation?
Yes, Lin has a foundation named The Miranda Family Fellowship. This foundation helps the new artist and art administrators to access education for pursuing their theatre and tv/film careers.
Is Lin-Manuel Miranda a victim of Vestibular Neuritis?
Yes, Manuel is suffering from Vestibular Neuritis. Due to this, the inner ear nerve gets inflamed which prevents the sensory information transmission from ear to brain.
How did Lin-Manuel Miranda’s name come?
His parents named him Lin-Manuel from a poem titled Nana Roja Para Mi Hijo Lin Manuel. This poem was written by José Manuel Torres Santiago and is related to the Vietnam War.
When did Lin-Manuel Miranda stop doing Hamilton?
He stopped doing Hamilton on July 9, 2016. Lin promised that he would return to this show shortly and is focussing on his muti-career.