Who is John Humphrys Partner? His Bio, Age, Wife, Net Worth 2022
Facts of John Humphrys
|Full Name:||John Humphrys|
|Birth Date:||August 7, 1943|
|Net Worth||$1 million|
|Birth Place||Cardiff at 193 Pearl Street, Adamsdown|
|Education||Cardiff High School, Abertay University|
|Father||Edward George Humphrys|
|Mother||Winifred Mary (Matthews)|
|Kids||Christopher, Catherine, Owen James|
|View more / View less Facts of John Humphrys|
John Humphrys is a Welsh broadcaster who is famous as the main presenter for the Nine O’Clock News, the flagship BBC news television program. From 1987 until 2019, he worked on the BBC Radio 4 breakfast program Today. Similarly, he has worked for the host of the BBC Two television quiz show Mastermind since 2003.
Who is the Brother of John Humphrys?
John Humphrys was born as Desmond John Humphrys on 17 August 1943 in Cardiff at 193 Pearl Street, Adamsdown. As of 2019, his age is 79 years old under the birth sign Leo. He was born to parents Winifred Mary (Matthews) who was a hairdresser and Edward George Humphrys who was a self-employed French polisher.
Further, he has four siblings and one of his brothers named Bob Humphrys who was a sports television presenter on BBC Wales Today. He died on 19 August 2008 at the age of 56 of lung cancer in Cardiff. He holds British nationality and belongs to white ethnical background.
Regarding his education, he studied at Cardiff High School. However, he did not fit into the middle-class environment there. at the age of 15, John left school to become a reporter on the Penarth Times. Likewise, he holds an honorary degree from Abertay University.
When is John Humphrys retiring from Radio 4?
John Humphrys worked for Radio 4’s Today for more than three years. His final show will air TODAY, Thursday, September 19, from 6 am and will end at 9 am.
In the year 2019, Humphrys said BBC Radio 4’s The World at One he should have left the show years ago but clung on for fear he would miss it. His last interviewees were former Prime Ministers David Cameron and Tony Blair.
John has achieved many industry awards such as Journalist of the Year in February 2000 at an awards ceremony. This was organized by The House Magazine and Channel 4.
Besides, he has also won the Gold Sony Radio Award in 2003 as well as from the Plain English Campaign a silver platter for Crystal Clear Broadcasting.
Who is John Humphrys Partner?
Yes, John was a married man. He married Edna Wilding in August 1942. From their marriages, they had two youngsters, a child named Christopher, and a little girl named Catherine. His son Christopher is an expert cellist.
The couple was living a happy married life till September 1997 and they separated because his wife Wilding passed away of cancer. He portrayed her last days in his book Devil’s Advocate (2000).
On 2 June 2000, John along with his then partner Valerie Sanderson welcomed a son named Owen James. She was a newsreader with Spotlight then BBC News 24 and is now a radio producer.
John Humphrys took an interview at Today in March 1995 on Treasury Chief Secretary Jonathan Aitken threaten him of “poisoning the well of democratic debate although his fellow Cabinet ministers, Kenneth Clarke and Douglas Hurd. They did not support Aiken when interviewed by Humphrys.
At the Today program in July 2017, Party Co-chair Lady Warsi threaten him of downplaying sexual violence upon William Hague’s remark.
While the Wimbledon women’s semi-finals, he got accused of sexism and xenophobia when he questioned Johanna Konta’s national identity. In October, a report revealed by the Crown Prosecution Service an interview with the Director of Public Prosecutions Alison Saunders discussed.
It’s said that they prosecuted a record number of people in England and Wales for sexual offenses. In January 2018, a presentation discussion was captured between media peers and ancient associates him and Jon Sopel. There they seemed to ignore the gender pay gap posted by Carrie Gracie.
What is John Humphrys Net Worth?
John owns a net worth of $1 million as of 2022. Likewise, he earns an average salary of $ 1million per year. He earned this amount of money through doing live radio broadcasts.
- The Welsh broadcaster began his career by appearing at TWW, a commercial television channel based in Wales.
- There he was the first reporter on the scene of the Aberfan disaster in October 1966.
- After that, he joined the BBC. The same year, he worked as the district reporter for Liverpool and the Northwest.
- There he reported on the dock strikes and sometimes for the national news.
- Further, John started working as a foreign correspondent.
- Likewise, he became the main presenter of the BBC’s flagship Nine O’Clock News in 1981.
- This is about an appointment that marked a change in the BBC’s approach to news broadcasting.
- In January 1987, he began working for the Today, joining Brian Redhead.
- In the 1990s, he made occasional appearances fronting BBC TV news bulletins.
- After he appeared in a tough interview on live radio, he has a reputation as a tenacious and forthright interviewer occasionally politicians have been very critical of his style.
- Finally, John appeared for a series of alleged sexist remarks and attitudes throughout his broadcasting career as well.
- Furthermore, Humphrys has written different books such as Lost for Words. This book criticizes what he sees as the widespread misuse of the English language.
- Besides he has also written Devil’s Advocate, Beyond Words, The Great Food Gamble, and In God We Doubt Confessions of a Failed Atheist.
FAQs of John Humphrys
Who is John Humphrys?
John Humphrys is a Welsh broadcaster who is famous as the main presenter for the Nine O’Clock News, the flagship BBC news television program. From 1987 until 2019, he worked on the BBC Radio 4 breakfast program Today.
Who are the parents of John Humphrys?
He was born to his parents Winifred Mary (Matthews) who was a hairdresser and Edward George Humphrys who was a self-employed French polisher.
Where was John Humphrys born?
John Humphrys was born Desmond John Humphrys on 17 August 1943 in Cardiff at 193 Pearl Street, Adamsdown