Facts of Gina Belafonte
|Full Name:||Gina Belafonte|
|Birth Date:||September 8, 1961|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
|Birth Place||New York City, New York|
|Education||State University of New York|
|Siblings||Adrienne Belafonte Biesemeyer, Shari Belafonte, David Belafonte|
|Gina Belafonte Instagram|
|View more / View less Facts of Gina Belafonte|
Gina Belafonte is an American actress, known for her works in movies like BlacKkKlansman (2018), and Operation Splitsville (1998). However, she came to the media spotlight as the daughter of the famous calypso singer, Harry Belafonte.
Gina Belafonte opened her eyes on 8th September 1961 in New York City, New York, the United States of America. As of 2019, her age is 58 years old while her horoscope is Virgo. She is the daughter of Julie Robinson (mother) and Harry Belafonte (father).
She grew up with her three siblings, two sisters and a brother, Adrienne Belafonte Biesemeyer, Shari Belafonte, and David Belafonte respectively. Gina holds an American nationality and belongs to the mixed ethnic group.
Belafonte graduated from the State University of New York at Purchase.
Who is Gina Belafonte Father?
Her father, Harry Belafonte is an American singer, songwriter, activist, as well as an actor who is widely famous as the King of Calypso. Further, he sang the hits Jamaica Fairwell and The Banana Boat Song (Day-O).
Her father Career
- Harry joined the Navy during World War II. After that, he worked as a janitor in New York City and his boss gave him tickets to the American Negro Theatre, which got him interested in performance.
- At first, he was a pop singer in the year 1949, but later he developed a keen interest in folk music, learned the material through the Library of Congress’ American folk songs archives.
- In the 1950s, Harry was dubbed the King of Calypso for popularizing the Caribbean musical style with an international audience.
- His album Calypso (1956) is regarded as the first million-selling LP by a single artist.
- Further, he has recorded and performed many genres, such as blues, folk, gospel, show tunes, American standards, and so on.
- He has also appeared in several numbers of movies, such as Bright Road (1953), Carmen Jones (1954), Island in the Sun (1957), Odds Against Tomorrow (1959), The World, the Flesh and the Devil and other many more.
- In the 1950s and 1960s, he was an early supporter of the Civil Rights Movement and one of Martin Luther King Jr.’s confidants.
- Moreover, he has been an advocate for political and humanitarian causes, such as the Anti-Apartheid Movement and the USA for Africa.
- Since the year 1987, he has been a UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador.
- Further, he has been a vocal critic of the policies of the George W. Bush presidential administrations.
- As of now, he acts as the American Civil Liberties Union celebrity ambassador for juvenile justice issues.
Her father Awards
- Altogether, Harry has won three Grammy Awards, including a Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award, an Emmy Award, and a Tony Award.
- In the year 1989, he received the Kennedy Center Honors and he received the National Medal of Arts in the year 1994.
- In the year 2014, Harry received the Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award at the Academy’s 6th Annual Governors Awards.
- Harry received an honorary doctorate from Berklee College of Music in Boston on March 2014.
At the beginning of her acting career at 14 years, she landed several movie roles in BlacKkKlansman (2018), The Commish (1991), and Operation Splitsville (1998). In addition to her acting, she has also helped produce the documentary about her father, Harry titled Sing Your Song.
What is Gina Belafonte Net Worth?
Her father, Harry Belafonte has an estimated net worth of around $28 million as of 2019 which he earned through his career as a singer, songwriter, activist, and actor.
Who is Gina Belafonte Husband?
Gina Belafonte tied the wedding knot to an American actor Scott McRay. They married in a private wedding in the presence of their close friends and family. Her husband, Scott is famous for his works in G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra (2009), The New Adventures of Superman (1993), Invasion of the Money Snatchers (2012), and so on. Further, the couple had one daughter, Maria Belafonte together.
Gina is active on some sorts of social networking sites such as Instagram and Twitter.